Reading Recommendation # 6 - Great Myths of Psychology

I, Jyotika Varmani, tutor students of Psychology at all levels. I reside in Mumbai and tutor students online. You can contact me personally on my e-mail id jyotikapsychology@gmail.com or call/message me on 9892507784 for enquiries.


---

Ironically, with increased knowledge comes increased ignorance, in the academic context at least. The more we understand our concepts and theories and the more convinced we become of them, the more that we let go of our critical thinking. This is what I realized when I read the book-




There is a whole series presented to us by Wiley-Blackwell on busting these myths which I am eager to read in the coming days. The books in this series include-



Amongst many specific things that I learned from reading this book, I learnt that in general-

  • we easily dichotomize psychological phenomena that are simply not black-and-white in nature;

  • that we unconditionally accept findings proposed to us by researchers with impressive looking numbers;

  • that we unnecessarily hold popular beliefs as being credible;

  • that we frequently confuse norms with facts; and

  • that we are quickly swayed by opinion presented persuasively.


There is so much wisdom in these few pages!


It is certainly advisable for learners of psychology to take some time off every now and then to read some books and research papers that challenge commonly held notions. There is no other way of gaining success in the field which is a science and by its nature, demands an open attitude amongst its learners and practitioners.


Do read books which are sure to capture your interest and add a dimension of scientific thinking to your study of psychology that is sure to take you far in the field. I especially recommend this series to those enthusiasts of psychology who keep asking for quick reads that can enlighten them with the use of simple words.


You can order copies of these books on the following links-


-----

(Search terms - psychology read list, psychology books for everyone, psychology books to read, psychology readings, psychology book recommendations, psychology reading recommendations)

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maam any tips for those who don't like reading? ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.

    Maybe I'll do a full fledged post on this someday. A quick tip for now is that you simply remind yourself from time to time of what you are losing in your life by not making a small little effort to read. That should appeal to the rational thinker in you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the way you've shared your reading makes me really want to read this book myself. Thanks alot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this kind compliment. Please let me know your name.

      Delete
  5. If I order these books now, will they get delivered in a weeks time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks miss. We don't get these kind of reviews from our teachers also. Please name some more books for us students

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this sweet comment. Please let me know your name.

      Do take a look at my previous posts for more recommendations and keep visiting for more such reviews

      Delete
  7. U get paid for these reviews?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I do not. Who will pay me for reviewing books published five six years ago?

      Delete
    2. Ohk miss. Nice review though

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to have your feedback or suggestions, or answer any of your queries. Feel free to express yourself below. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Popular posts from this blog

Andrade (doodling)

A Level Psychology of Abnormality: Explanation of Phobias

Dement and Kleitman Research